Thursday 2 July 2009

Andy Murray shivers his way to the top



According to an article in the Evening Standard - 01 July 2009:

" Andy Murray's run to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon, where he takes on Juan Carlos Ferrero today, has been assisted by regular dips in the cubes normally used to cool your gin and tonic".

Full article here

Ever since I heard about Paula Radcliffe having ice baths to aid recovery, I've given them a go. After all what's good enough for Paul is good enough for me!

OK, I don't actually have bags of ice cubes to hand, instead I sit in a bath of cold water [which in winter is icy] and it also does the trick. The water is so cold it literally takes my breathe away.

The reason behind this torture is:

"During exercise muscles suffer small fibre tears that cause small amounts of internal bleeding. When you get into an ice bath (for between five and 10 minutes), the cold causes the vessels to constrict and the blood to flow out of your limbs.

When you step out of the bath, and your body warms up, blood flows back and this invigorates the muscles with oxygen, helping the cells to repair themselves better"

It really does work! Whenever I do a run that is over about 90 mins I spend the last 10 minutes of the run actually looking forward to my ice bath. Why? Because that means it's over, I've done it and I can now relax for the rest of the day. My legs also don't feel so heavy afterwards.

I think I'm going to try a few ice cubes next time ........

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails