Wednesday 10 February 2010

Get fit for the slopes


Hailing from South Africa, I only encountered snow at the ripe old age of 22.  I was au-pairing in Lake Tahoe in the USA and can recall my delight at seeing my first snow.  I immediately got the toboggan out and along with some other Aussie au-pairs [who were also snow virgins] we turned into shrieking kids.

I tried to ski and was abysmal at it.  I couldn't afford lessons as a lowly paid au-pair and skiing really isn't something you can teach yourself.  Years later I went on a work teambuilding trip to Megeve, in the French Alps.  We had the choice between skiing and snowboarding.  I chose snowboarding as it was much cooler.  Two lessons later I very nearly got the hang of it but it was time to go home.  What a shame!

This article in the London Evening Standard gives some excellent advice on how to get in shape for skiing.  Those under-used thighs are going to be screaming in protest, so I'd suggest booking a sports massage for the evening after your first day on the slopes.

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails