Wednesday 16 September 2009

What sort of exercise can make you smarter?


Regular readers of my blog will know that I regularly expound the virtues of group exercise.  I can never understand people who do the same gym circuit over and over again, sometimes never increasing their time or reps.  What's the point?

Needless to say I was delighted to read that research has shown that a particular sort of exercise makes you smarter and here's the important bit - pushing yourself further than you normally would makes you even smarter!  I'm always pushed a lot harder than I might normally push myself in an exercise class, thats why I love them.

Here is an excerpt take from a New York Times article:  "For some time, researchers have known that exercise changes the structure of the brain and affects thinking. Ten years ago scientists at the Salk Institute in California published the groundbreaking finding that exercise stimulates the creation of new brain cells. But fundamental questions remain, like whether exercise must be strenuous to be beneficial. Should it be aerobic? What about weight lifting? And are the cognitive improvements permanent or fleeting?"

To find out which exercise is best for the braincells click here

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails