Monday 10 September 2007

My Favourite Breakfast


My friend and fellow blogger Yang May was recently inspired by a family trip to Delft, to write about her favourite breakfast and invited me to write about mine. She wrote "’I'm curious to know if she’s fond of fry-up breakfasts or if she eats tasty yet healthy breakfasts?"

Well it's not as quite as simple as that ..........

I'm one of those people who find it difficult to eat first thing in the morning - nevermind that I'm usually in a flat spin to get out the door on time. Growing up - before the word smoothie had been coined - I used to put milk, a South African cereal called Pronutro and a banana into a blender. I'm no longer a fan of cereal, so now my favourite breakfast is a homemade smoothie. Incorporating frozen or fresh fruit, soya milk, yoghurt or fruit juice and always banana. It's a great way to easily get to those 5 portions a day and also use up any fruit threatening to go squishy in the fruit bowl.

On Sundays I love a bacon and egg brunch - particularly if I've been for a long run. It's freshly laid local farm eggs, Duchy Selections Free Range Smoked Bacon, wholemeal toast and lots of HP and Worcestershire Sauce. YUM!

The benefits of eating breakfast are many. In a nutshell - breakfast kickstarts your metabolism, helps you to concentrate and perform better in school and at work and aids in maintaining a healthy weight.

I invite readers to leave a comment about their favourite breakfast/s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel, I'm glad to see you're not averse to a fry up every now and then - albeit a healthy-ish one.

I like the idea of getting my five portions of fruit in one revitalising tonic. I will be trying that soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails